|New Jobs in Uganda 2021 | Jobs at Farm Africa|
New Jobs in Uganda 2021 | Jobs at Farm Africa
New Jobs in Uganda 2021 | Jobs at Farm Africa . Farm Africa, founded in 1985, is an international non-governmental organization working in Uganda, Ethiopia, Kenya and Tanzania. We drive agricultural and environmental change to improve lives. Read here
Our strategy has three pillars: agricultural expertise, management and preservation of ecosystems, and the power of business to drive prosperity. We believe Africa has the power to feed itself and are helping make this happen by establishing and spreading the best farming and forestry techniques so that poor farmers and herders have more food to feed their families and to sell. Apply Also University of Brunei Darussalam Fully Funded Scholarships
Recommended for you
- New Jobs in Kenya 2021 | Jobs at Mpesa Africa
- New Jobs in January 2021 | Job Vacancies at REDESO
- Acumen East Africa Fellows Program 2021 for Emerging Leaders
- Top Opportunities for African Entrepreneur 2021
- Online Jobs 2021| Jobs From Home 2021
We help smallholders manage their natural resources sustainably so that they can withstand climate change challenges and shocks and ensure their families have enough food in the future as well as now. Farm Africa works in partnership with communities, government, local and international organizations, and the private sector to innovate, learn and share best practices for maximum impact of our projects.
Job Summary-New Jobs in Uganda 2021 | Jobs at Farm Africa
Company: Farm Africa
State: Kampala, UG
Job type: Full-Time
Job category: Agricultural Jobs in Uganda
Job Title: Livestock Specialist (Livestock for Livelihoods – UG) Re-advertised
Organization: Farm Africa
Duty Station: Kotido, Karamoja sub-region, (with regional and national travel), Uganda
Reports to: Project Coordinator
Direct Reports: Three – Community Facilitator, Finance & Admin Assistant, Driver
Duration & Hours: Fixed-term, full-time contract ending 31st March 2022.
New Jobs in Uganda 2021 | Jobs at Farm Africa
Farm Africa has the ambition to be the leading European NGO specialising in Agriculture, Natural Resource Management and Market Engagement. Farm Africa is mid-way through delivering our £5m Livestock for Livelihoods (L4L) programme in Uganda’s Karamoja sub-region and Ethiopia’s South Omo zone funded by the UK government (UK Aid). You may like New Jobs in Kenya 2021 | Jobs at Mpesa Africa
Under this programme Farm Africa is working with local civil society, SMEs, cooperatives and farmer organisations to develop market systems that support livestock services and enterprises for 21,000 women, contributing to women’s economic empowerment, reduced poverty and improved nutrition of women and children.
The project is addressing market failures in animal health and breeding services to improve livestock productivity, building capacity and assets of herders, establishing trade and enterprise opportunities and improving household nutrition practices through behavioural change. It will also demonstrate how nutrition interventions can build on women’s economic empowerment to contribute to both increased income and improved household nutrition. Read more Online Jobs 2021 | Jobs From Home 2021
Purpose of the role: The Livestock Specialist (LS) is a key member of the L4L Uganda team.
Firstly, the Livestock Specialist is the technical lead in Uganda, and together with the Chief of Party (based in Kenya) will provide technical advice to the Project Coordinator to support effective implementation of field activities.
Secondly, the Livestock Specialist will also be responsible for managing the Kotido project sub-office and the three additional staff members located there, as well as ensuring timely and high-quality delivery of project activities in geographic areas managed by the Kotido team.
Thirdly, the Livestock officer will play a hands-on role in delivering, monitoring and reporting on project activities in allocated areas. This will include contributing to internal and external project reporting, financial management, partner management, monitoring and evaluation of the project activities, outputs and impacts, and ensuring that all stakeholders at the project area are fully engaged.
Key Duties and Responsibilities: The key responsibilities of the Livestock Specialist are:
Project planning and implementation of the L4L project activities in allocated districts and sub-counties
• Contribute to the review and preparation of the project’s work plan and detailed activity budget as part of the quarterly and annual planning process.
• Work with the Chief of Party to provide technical guidance to the Project Coordinator to ensure excellence in delivery in Uganda and consistency in application of technical approach across all districts of operation.
• Ensure that project activities for Kotido team’s allocated districts are implemented and outputs achieved as planned and within the agreed budget.
• Lead, and play a hands-on role in the delivery of, livestock-focused project activities, drawing on consultants and external suppliers where appropriate
• Work with the Project Coordinator to fully engage the Moroto-based Monitoring & Evaluation Officer (MELO) and Business Development Officer (BDO) in supporting the delivery of activities in and around Kotido.
• Proactively identify and monitor any risks to non-delivery and, where required, develop and implement action plans to address issues identified.New Jobs in Uganda 2021 | Jobs at Farm Africa .
• Provide ongoing feedback to project activities and propose adjustments in annual implementation plans according to emerging needs and priorities.
• Support the PC in identifying and analysing the causes of spend variances to the budget and take action as needed.
Project monitoring, evaluation and reporting
• Provide information for reporting (internal and external) for activities managed from Kotido office as requested by the PC.
• Regularly report on overall technical progress of the project to the PC (timelines to be agreed with the PC).
• Keep PC regularly (monthly, or more frequently as requested) updated on delivery progress.
• Contribute to the development and implementation of the Monitoring, Evaluation & Learning Plan (MLP) for the L4L project.
• Work with the MELO to ensure that Kotido team are collecting indicator data as required in the MLP for purposes such as internal progress reviews and donor reporting.
• Collect information for stories, case studies and lessons learnt and share with the PC. Spend a high proportion of the time in the field, ensuring that all field activities are being delivered as planned and in line with Farm Africa Approaches/Methodologies.New Jobs in Uganda 2021 | Jobs at Farm Africa
Budget management, financial reporting and compliance
• Act as budget holder for Kotido office, with delegated authority for expenditure on budgeted project activities within agreed limits.
• Ensure expenditure managed from Kotido sub-office is reported on in an accurate and timely manner, with explanations for variances provided as required/requested.New Jobs in Uganda 2021 | Jobs at Farm Africa
• With support from Project Accountant & Administrator (PA&A) ensure that all members of the Kotido team are aware of, and operating in accordance with Farm Africa’s policies and procedures.
• With support from the Finance and Admin Assistant (FAA), implement internal project financial controls, ensuring that financial management in the Kotido sub-office is in compliance with or exceeds the basic standards contained in the Farm Africa finance procedures manual and other relevant rules and procedures applicable in Uganda.New Jobs in Uganda 2021 | Jobs at Farm Africa
• Ensure that all procurement of goods and services is carried out in line with Farm Africa procedures and also follows the terms and conditions stipulated in the financing agreement.
• Ensure compliance with legal and contractual requirements for all activities conducted out of the Kotido sub-office.
Manage the Kotido team, office facilities and fleet
• Provide leadership and motivation to Kotido team, building values-based team working and individual staff skills relevant to the project.
• Hold weekly team meetings and send minutes and key action points to the PC and the Project Accountant and Administrator.New Jobs in Uganda 2021 | Jobs at Farm Africa
• Regularly provide both informal and formal coaching and feedback to all project staff. Effectively and promptly deal with any poor performance and actively recognise and encourage strong performance.
• Hold in-person supervision sessions with line-managed staff at least once per quarter (to discuss progress against their personal development objectives and work targets) and carry out in-person annual appraisals with all line-managed staff.
• Actively seek feedback on own performance and effectiveness from both country leadership as well as own project staff.
• Ensure that vehicles and/or motorbikes allocated to the Kotido office are kept secure, well maintained and appropriately insured.
• Ensure that Kotido office is well managed, with adequate facilities for team to carry out their duties.
Play a key role in delivering the wider objectives of both the L4L programme, and Farm Africa’s work in Uganda.
• Work with AFRII (implementing partner) to coordinate delivery of nutrition focused activities in Kotido and surrounding sub-counties.New Jobs in Uganda 2021 | Jobs at Farm Africa
• Proactively identify and raise with the PC (and others as appropriate) any partner-related delivery risks, and work with project partner staff to implement action plans to resolve identified issues.
• Oversee the implementation of the project’s visibility strategy for Kotido office activities in line with donor guidelines.
• Ensure regular and effective communications are maintained with the wider project team, Uganda Country Office and implementing partners.
• In consultation with the PC, act as an ambassador, promoting the project and the work of Farm Africa, including hosting visitors, speaking at workshops, conferences, meeting donors and other officials, and organising district level stakeholder meetings as and when required.
• Work with external stakeholders and partners to support the replication of Farm Africa’s technical approach by other organisations
• Contribute to the development of relevant Farm Africa policies and strategies, providing technical input for project proposals when required
Qualifications, Skills and Experience: New Jobs in Uganda 2021 | Jobs at Farm Africa
• The ideal candidate for the Farm Africa job must hold a Post-graduate qualification in a relevant technical area such as veterinary sciences or animal sciences.
• A minimum of four years’ experience working in a livestock-focused role in an INGO or agri-business evidencing knowledge and understanding of project strategy, design, implementation, monitoring and reporting
• Experience of working with pastoralist communities
• Experience of working with community animal health workers and developing rural veterinary service systems
• Experience in implementation of livelihoods programmes with behaviour change components
• Experience in designing and conducting community trainings
• Experience of leading and inspiring community-based agents to deliver trainings and drive change
• Detailed understanding of the livestock and pastoralism sector in Uganda, in particular with relation to small ruminants
• A practical understanding of the social norms and cultural dynamics driving behaviours in pastoralist communities – particularly in relation to the role of women in society and the household
• Proven ability to effectively manage a small team in conducting field activities
• Ability to build strong relationships with a wide range of stakeholders
• Budget management skills
• Excellent project planning and organisational skills
• Written and oral communication and presentation
• skills with the ability to work with both Government and Private Sector stakeholders
• Ability and willingness to travel widely and frequently both within and outside the Karamoja sub-region
• Adept in Microsoft Windows including Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint
• Preference will be given to qualified vets.
• Ability to diagnose common ailments in small ruminants and provide technical and practical advice on preventative measures and treatments
• Detailed understanding of market-based approaches to development and particularly approaches which encourage greater participation of women
• Experience of managing partnerships with other organisations or INGOS Understanding of the interdependencies between livelihoods and nutrition programming
• Experience of working in Karamoja. New Jobs in Uganda 2021 | Jobs at Farm Africa
• Experience of training others in goat husbandry and breeding
• Experience of working with exotic goat species.
• Demonstrated leadership, line management and team building experience – including appraisal and managing under-performance.
• Excellent network and excellent relationship with government partners
• Fluency in Karamojong. New Jobs in Uganda 2021 | Jobs at Farm Africa
Investing in smallholder farming is the number one way to combat poverty in rural Africa. Farm Africa is a leading NGO specialising in growing agriculture, protecting the environment and developing businesses in rural Africa.
• EXPERT. Deep expertise and insightful evidence-based solutions are at the heart of everything Farm Africa does.
• GROUNDED. Positive change starts with Africa’s people, so our experts work closely with local communities, engaging them in every level of decision-making.
• IMPACTFUL. We take a long-term view so we can deliver lasting changes for farmers and their families.
• BOLD. We model innovative new approaches and are not afraid to challenge strategies that are failing.
Method of Application
To apply, please send a CV, salary history and a two-page supporting statement detailing how you meet the person specification to email@example.com including ‘Livestock Specialist- ‘L4L Project ’ in the subject line. Apply on Best jobs for you Today 2021
Please DO NOT send additional documents such as certificates and references with your application. Successful candidates ONLY will be required to provide these documents during the referencing. Read more