Financial Planning Analyst
Pathfinder International is driven by the conviction that all people, regardless of where they live, have the right to decide whether and when to have children, to exist free from fear and stigma, and to lead the lives they choose. Since 1957, we have partnered with local governments, communities, and health systems in developing countries to remove barriers to critical sexual and reproductive health services. Together, we expand access to contraception, promote healthy pregnancies, save women’s lives, and stop the spread of new HIV infections, wherever the need is most urgent. Our work ensures millions of women, men, and young people are able to choose their own paths forward.
Financial Planning Analyst
LOCATION: Watertown, MA, Washington DC, Bangladesh, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Côte d’Ivoire, Democratic Republic of Congo, Egypt, Ethiopia, India, Kenya, Mozambique, Niger, Nigeria, Pakistan, Tanzania, Togo, or Uganda.
The Financial Planning Analyst supports Pathfinder’s annual budgeting process and forecasting, prepares and distributes financial reports to senior leadership and the Board of Directors, and analyzes monthly financial results for variances.
Key Job Outcomes:
- Monthly Spending Review, Analysis and Reports: Monitors and analyzes the organization’s monthly spending performance against budget and conducts ongoing meetings with necessary staff to review results. Highlights, tracks and reports unforeseen spending patterns and considerable deviations from operating budget. Coordinates with departments and country offices regarding financial questions, issues and resolution. Prepares trend analysis reports, tracking expenditures by category, function, and country.
- Annual Budget Planning and Forecasting: Supports in the compilation, review and maintenance of the annual operating budgets and quarterly forecasts. Partner with cost center managers and country offices in developing their budget and forecasts. Manages data in the budget and forecasting software, Adaptive Planning. Coordinates budget trainings for any new budget owner staff.
- Technical Support: Assists in establishing streamlined policies and procedures for financial planning activities. Supports the design, implementation, management and monitoring of financial planning systems and workflow processes and procedures.
- Financial Modeling: Develops financial models and analyzes data to support management in decision making, including analysis of revenue projections and staffing levels.
- Financial Reporting: Prepares and updates monthly financial reporting packages for key stakeholders. Assists with the development and monthly updating of financial dashboards using Microsoft Power BI. Creates ad-hoc reports based on external requests. Assists with creating financial presentations for senior leadership and the Board of Directors.
- Administrative: Manage incoming operating spending requests from submission to approval and monitor spending against approved requests. Support external audits by providing assistance with preparing required reports and responses to auditors.
- Project Management and Participation: Leads, manages or participates on cross-functional project teams.
Minimally Required Job-Specific Competencies:
- Financial Planning: Advanced knowledge of and ability to prepare functional and programmatic budgets, preferably for an NGO or non-profit organization.
- Financial Reporting and Variance Analysis: Proven ability to develop and present required financial reports, identifying and explaining significant variances.
- Financial Tools: Intermediate to Advanced Microsoft Excel knowledge. Experience with a cloud-based financial planning system such as Adaptive Planning. Previous experience with financial accounting systems. Experience using a financial reporting and consolidation system is preferable.
Minimally Required Organizational Competencies:
- Project Management Planning and Management: Proven ability to plan and manage cross-functional initiatives.
- Analysis and Sound Judgement: Proven consultative and diagnostic skills. Advanced analytical and trouble shooting skills. Ability to make sound judgments. Ability to improve processes, promote excellence and demonstrate accuracy and thoroughness.
- Language: Proven ability to write and speak using English language.
- Communication: Advanced oral and written communication skills using different forms of media. Ability to translate complex concepts to individuals at all levels. Ability to speak across a range of technical issues that may be outside the individual’s area of expertise. Ability to interact professionally with culturally and linguistically diverse staff and clients.
- Influencing and Customer Service Skills: Proven ability to influence using diplomacy skills with key stakeholders. Proven ability to respond quickly to requestors’ needs.
- Organization, Planning and Multi-tasking: Advanced organizational and planning skills, project planning and management skills. Proven ability to set priorities, meet deadlines and multi-task with minimal supervision. Proven ability to coordinate activities.
- Self-Management and Teamwork: Ability to work independently or as a member of the team, ability to be detailed-oriented and consistently accurate, ability to manage stress effectively in a fast-paced environment, and ability to quickly learn new systems, processes and procedures and adapt local practices to global standards.
- Matrix Management: Ability to thrive in a matrixed organization.
- Confidentiality: Proven ability to maintain confidentiality on work-related issues.
- Sexual and Reproductive Health and Rights Services: Foundational knowledge of family planning and reproductive health principles, practices and services including program strategies and indicators.
- Passion for Sexual and Reproductive Health Services: Commitment to family planning, reproductive health services, gender, maternal, child health services, and eradication of harmful traditional practices.
Required Education, Training and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance, Accounting, or a related field.
- 2 years of experience in a finance or accounting role which required financial analysis
- Prefer: 1-2 years of experience in financial planning, budgeting and analysis.
- Prefer: Work experience at an NGO or non-profit organization.
- Travel required (less than 10%)
- Uses cellular and desk phone; laptop or desktop computer
- Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)