Parent Sector : Sector For Administration and Management (ADM)
Duty Station: Dar-es-Salaam
Job Family: Administration
Type of contract : Non Staff
Level : Level 2
Duration of contract : From 1 to 6 months
Recruitment open to : External candidates
Application Deadline (Midnight Paris Time) : 19-DEC-2020
UNESCO Core Values: Commitment to the Organization, Integrity, Respect for Diversity, Professionalism
Only Tanzanian nationals can apply or those authorised to work in Tanzania
Initial contract for 3 months, renewal subject to satisfactory performance and availability of funds
OVERVIEW OF THE FUNCTIONS OF THE POST
Under the overall authority of the Head of UNESCO Dar es Salaam Office and the direct supervision of the Finance and Administrative Officer, the incumbent provides a series of finance and administrative support services to the UNESCO National office in Dar es Salaam and in compliance with UNESCO Rules and Regulations.
The administrative assistant will undertake the following responsibilities:
- Compile, verify and maintain records of transactions and Office administrative activities. Process payments; check that documents are complete, correct and compliant with the rules, regulations and procedures;
- Ensure that the accounting records and corresponding justifications are complete and properly filed;
- Assist in preparation of budget, check completeness, accuracy and compliance of documentation;
- Assist staff members and their dependents by processing requests for visas, identity cards, driving licenses and other necessary personnel-related documents in accordance with requirements of the organization and the host country.
- Assist in recruitment process activities of the office;
- Make arrangements for shipment and receipt of office and project supplies and equipment and household effects, including customs clearance;
- Assist on preparation of purchase orders, contracts, meetings and follow up;
- Maintain and monitor stock levels of various supply items;
- Liaise with companies and host country’s administration;
- Follow up air tickets purchase and payments, prepare travel authorizations and assemble information pertinent to the purpose of travel; track security certificates;
- Assist in the allocation of office and planning moves;
- Monitor the work of the cleaning staff to ensure the work undertaken by them meets the standards in the contract specification.
COMPETENCIES (Core / Managerial) Accountability (C) Communication (C) Innovation (C) Knowledge sharing and continuous improvement (C) Planning and organizing (C) Results focus (C) Teamwork (C) – For detailed information, please consult the UNESCO Competency Framework.
Completed Secondary Education.
Minimum 3 years of relevant work in administration and finance within UN or international organizations.
Excellent/very good knowledge of English and Swahili
Skills and competencies
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Good IT skills and good knowledge of standard office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc).
- Good analytical and problem solving skills.
- Initiative, service-oriented, and discretion.
- Proven ability to work efficiently, under pressure, and in a multi-cultural environment.
- Flexibility to adjust to different work schedules and priorities.
Bachelors Degree in Finance, Administration or others related fields
Skills and Competencies.
Knowledge of UN rules and regulations.
BENEFITS AND ENTITLEMENTS
The remuneration is at SB2 Level Peg 3 – TZS 2,023,158 monthly including pension and medical benefits
SELECTION AND RECRUITMENT PROCESS
Please note that all candidates must complete an on-line application and provide complete and accurate information. To apply, please visit the UNESCO careers website. No modifications can be made to the application submitted.
The evaluation of candidates is based on the criteria in the vacancy notice, and may include tests and/or assessments, as well as a competency-based interview.
UNESCO uses communication technologies such as video or teleconference, e-mail correspondence, etc. for the assessment and evaluation of candidates.
Please note that only selected candidates will be further contacted and candidates in the final selection step will be subject to reference checks based on the information provided.
UNESCO applies a zero tolerance policy against all forms of harassment.
UNESCO is committed to achieve and sustain gender parity among its staff members in all categories and at all grades. Furthermore, UNESCO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities, as well as nationals from non-and under-represented Member States (last update here) are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the highest level of confidentiality. Worldwide mobility is required for staff members appointed to international posts.
UNESCO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process.
The deadline for submitting the application is 19 December 2020