Underground Safety Officer
In return, we provide state of the art facilities, equipment and technology. We look forward to receiving your application for the following positions.
African Underground Mining Services (AUMS) is an international leader in mechanized hard rock underground mining. AUMS is part of Perenti (Formerly the Ausdrill Group), an ASX 200 company and Australia’s second largest integrated mining services provider. We are a global leader in hard rock underground mining; together with Barminco we operate across Africa in Tanzania, Egypt, Ghana, and Burkina Faso and in Australia and Canada. We are driven by the continued success at our operations and exceeding our client’s expectations – both in terms of safety and performance. The collective talent and expertise of our workforce is the key to our success, and we are looking for talented people to join our business. We seek to build teams who are loyal, committed to our company values and dedicated to helping our clients.
Location: Geita Gold Mine, Geita
The Underground Safety Officer will provide the site with HSE&T advice, coordination and relevant administration support. The role will be involved in partnering with site operations supervisors and employees to ensure AUMS’s safety values and culture is effectively promoted and adopted across the operation.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Guiding employees on best work practice by ensuring safe work processes are in place, understood by all and being used consistently.
- Administering and applying HSE&T policies, procedures, and matrices including the development of site specific HSE&T management plans.
- Provide on-site Inductions ensuring all employees and contractors are site compliant.
- Monitor the health and well-being of our onsite personnel.
- Participate in (and lead where appropriate at the local level) any HSE&T improvement to ensure both operational and legislative requirements are met.
- Provide technical support as required to accident investigations to ensure a thorough and documented approach is used.
- Provide accurate and timely local reports on all HSE&T matters to relevant parties.
- Attend and provide input to the regular operations tool box and pre and after shift meetings.
- Provide HSE&T reporting and monitor local trends for communicating with relevant parties and following up accordingly.
- In conjunction with relevant parties implement the solutions to issues of recurring HSE&T problems.
- Conduct training and verification of Competencies.
- Support auditing of onsite machinery and equipment.
- Provide HSE&T mentoring to operational personnel.
- Administer and assist with the local return to work/rehabilitation process. KEY
- Diploma/Degree in OHS or equivalent with up to 4 – 6 years’ relevant experience.
- NEBOSH or OSHA Certification (NOSHC1&NOSHC2 Certificate)
- Familiar with the Tanzanians Regulations.
- More system oriented
- High level of integrity.
- Strong interpersonal, management and communication skills.
- Dependably exercise sound judgement and decisions.
- Strong sense of urgency and outcomes focused.
- Knowledge and application of HSE legislation and compliance requirements to Barminco and the client’s safety systems.
- Experience of providing supportive specialist HSE& T operational advice to operations.
- Proven experience in a similar role preferably within an underground mining environment.
- Excellent English communications skills and ability to manage diverse and in some instances multi-cultural teams.
- Well-developed time management and planning skills are essential.
- The ability to influence and engage with operational and non-operational employees and contractors with good demonstrated communication and interpersonal skills, influencing skills and including consultation.
- Strong observation and analytical skills along with attention to detail.
- Computer proficiency (MS Excel, Word, Power Point/ Outlook / email)
- Experienced with a large ERP software/HSE& T information systems and reporting tool (e.g. SAP and Pronto)
- Information security – appreciate the importance of securing commercial and confidential information.
- Safety – observe safety procedures and use equipment and materials properly.
- Valid Tanzanian Driver’s License is highly regarded.
- First Aid Certificate is highly regarded.
- Internal Audit Certificate for ISO 45001:2018 is highly regarded.
- A recent Tanzanian police clearance certificate.
If you have the necessary skills, drive and experience to be an asset to AUMS Operations Team, we welcome your interest and encourage you to apply.
Only applications with a current Resume attached will be considered for employment.
Please send your CV along with a detailed covering letter via email firstname.lastname@example.org
Application letters should reach the above on or before 09th November 2020, 18hr00.